Summer is just around the corner, so get your sunscreen ready! But with all of the different options on the market, it can be tricky to know which one is right for you. In this article, we’ll tell you everything you need about sunscreen to make the best choice for your skin type.
The Types of Sunscreen
Sunscreen comes in two types: chemical and physical. Physical sunscreen reflects the sun’s rays away from the skin, while chemical sunscreen works by absorbing the sun’s rays. You should choose the right type for your skin based on the benefits and disadvantages of each type.
Regarding sensitive skin, it is best to use physical sunscreen. These sunscreens contain titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, gentle ingredients that won’t irritate your skin.
How to Choose the Right Sunscreen
Consider these factors when selecting a sunscreen:
- SPF: The sun protection factor (SPF) measures how well a sunscreen protects your skin from UVB rays, the most common cause of sunburn. Make sure your sunscreen has an SPF of at least 30.
- UVA Protection: Ultraviolet A (UVA) rays can also damage your skin and cause premature aging. Look for a “broad spectrum” sunscreen that protects against UVB and UVA rays.
- Water Resistance: If you’re sweating or swimming, look for water-resistant sunscreen.
- Ingredients: Some people are allergic to certain sunscreen ingredients, so it’s essential to read the label and test the product on a small area of skin before applying it all over.
When applying sunscreen, use enough to cover all exposed skin. If you sweat or swim, reapply every 2 hours.
Summer Skincare Tips
Summertime is the perfect time to focus on your skincare routine. You have the opportunity to give your skin the attention it deserves as the weather gets warmer and the days get longer. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Exfoliate regularly. Exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells and reveals the healthy, glowing skin beneath.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Make sure you choose one that is light and non-greasy, so it won’t clog your pores. A summertime skincare routine is not complete without a good moisturizer.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Keeping your skin protected from the sun’s rays is one of the best ways to keep it looking good. Use sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, and reapply as needed.
Schedule a Consultation
Get a consultation with Dr. Vivian Bucay at her San Antonio practices in Sonterra or La Casita by calling 210-692-3000.