What is BOTOX®?
BOTOX, or Botulinum Toxin, is a protein produced naturally from bacterial action. BOTOX injections improve and soften the appearance of frown lines, laugh lines and crow’s feet with no downtime.
BOTOX works by blocking the transmission of nerve impulses and reduces the contraction of the muscles around the injection site. Frown lines and crow’s feet are caused by the repeated muscle contractions from frowning and squinting your eyes.
Dr. Vivian Bucay will inject these muscles with BOTOX Cosmetic to temporarily reduce muscle activity.
BOTOX injectables do a terrific job of refreshing your face to give you a relaxed look. By allowing your muscles to retrain naturally to a more composed, attractive appearance, further reducing wrinkles. As Dr. Bucay likes to say, “the line you don’t make is the line you don’t get.” Wrinkle relaxers are also a wonderful compliment to other rejuvenation treatments, such as dermal fillers.
The actual BOTOX injection process takes about 10 minutes. You may begin to notice results in as little as 24 to 48 hours for moderate to severe frown lines. BOTOX is NOT a surgical procedure. It is NOT a filler (a substance that is injected into certain areas of the face to “fill in” wrinkles). Botox is also not permanent, but results generally last up to four months!
Why Choose Dermatologist Dr. Vivian Bucay?
Dr. Vivian Bucay earned her medical degree from the Baylor College of Medicine and trained in dermatology at the University of Miami and Baylor College of Medicine.
She is a fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology and has been in practice since 1991. Every injectable session at her practice is performed by the Doctor or under her direct supervision. The practice is a BOTOX national training center. Dr. Bucay also serves a faculty on several national continuing medical education initiatives- she is a doctor who trains other doctors.
With a wealth of experience, Dr. Bucay knows which products to use for certain areas to get the best results.
She may also recommend and integrated approach – wrinkle relaxers first to relax facial muscles, then dermal fillers (keep in mind that BOTOX, Dysport, and Xeomin do not add volume) to erase etched frown lines. Treatment with wrinkle relaxers several weeks prior to fractional resurfacing enhances results by reducing movement so new collagen isn’t readily broken down.
“The doctors and MAs at this practice are knowledgable, talented, and kind. They answer all of my questions patiently and treat my conditions effectively. The office staff is friendly and I always have a good experience when I visit. They also work hard to keep costs as low as possible (e.g., by using specialty pharmacies), which I really appreciate in a medical practice. 10/10 would recommend!”
– Ariella N.
Botox Before and After Photos
How Can I Be Sure I Am Receiving Real BOTOX® Cosmetic?
Board-certified plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, and dermatologists should have very strict protocols for authenticating vials of Botox Cosmetic, Dysport or Xeomin before your injection. Additionally, the International Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS) also has some additional guidelines for “checking the Botox box” if you have any suspicions.
BOTOX® For Men
BOTOX is not just for women. BOTOX has been clinically evaluated in male patients. In clinical studies, for moderate to severe frown lines, 17.5% of patients treated with BOTOX Cosmetic were men. In the clinical studies for moderate to severe crow’s feet, male patients comprised approximately 12% of patients treated with BOTOX.
Deion Sanders Tackles Frown Lines and Crow’s Feet
How Much Does Botox Cost?
Dr. Bucay and Dr. Bhandari will discuss your treatment goals and perform a complete facial analysis to determine the appropriate treatments for you. Price will vary depending on how many BOTOX injections will be necessary to achieve results.
Are There Side Effects to Botox?
Possible side effects of BOTOX include:
- Dry mouth
- Discomfort or pain at the injection site
- Neck pain
- Eye problems: double vision, blurred vision, decreased eyesight and dry eyes
- Allergic reactions
Will My BOTOX® Cosmetic Results Look Natural?
When working with frown lines, the corrugator muscle may need to completely relax for a while. Once the frown line dissipates, the BOTOX dose can be adjusted to allow for a little movement so that the expression looks natural.
Dr. Bucay has been performing BOTOX injections since 1996, and this is something she does every single day at the office.
What Do I Need to Avoid After Getting BOTOX® Injections?
There is no real downtime associated with getting BOTOX or other neuromodulators. You can resume most of your normal activities as soon as you leave our office! That said, in order to get the best wrinkle reduction with the fewest side effects, it can be to your advantage to avoid certain activities and practices. Some of the usual suggestions about BOTOX aftercare include the following:
- Avoid exercise for 24 to 48 hours. In fact, you should avoid all activities that get your heart rate up. The faster and harder your heart beats, the stronger your circulation; and the stronger your circulation, the greater your risk of bruising. Another thing that can happen if you get your heart rate up too soon after your BOTOX treatment is that the product may get pushed into areas that it wasn't intended to be, reducing the overall effects we set out to achieve.
- Avoid applying makeup for 24 hours. It's not your makeup that is the concern, it's the application. To apply your makeup, you'll need to rub the skin. Even as gently as you may do this, there's a chance that the product could get moved away from the intended treatment sites.
- Avoid lying down for at least four hours after your appointment. Like the other suggestions, this one is made to keep the neurotoxin within its intended treatment area.
- Avoid drinking alcohol for 24 to 48 hours. Doing so will help you avoid unnecessary bruising.
- Avoid medications and supplements that are known to thin the blood. Common examples include aspirin and vitamin E. However, ibuprofen can also thin the blood. If you have questions about any of the supplements or medications you take, talk to your provider or do a quick online search to determine if that product has blood-thinning effects.
- Avoid getting other facial treatments too soon after BOTOX injections. You may combine this treatment with dermal filler injections but will want to postpone facials, laser treatments, chemical peels, and even dental treatment for at least a few days after your appointment.
What If I Didn't Get the Results I Expected from My BOTOX® Treatment?
If you're new to BOTOX injections and didn't get the results you expected from your treatment, contact our office! We're happy to discuss your situation and determine a course of corrective action. In many cases, if lines still exist after the effects of BOTOX should have occurred, it could be that not enough units were given. Additional units can be injected to achieve the desired effect.
Another common reason that results may be less than you expect is that you've built up antibodies against the product. This can happen if you've received regular BOTOX injections for a prolonged period of time. Fortunately, if your body has developed antibodies that render BOTOX ineffective, you may still address dynamic wrinkles with injectable treatment. In this instance, you can talk with Dr. Bucay about the benefits of Xeomin® or Dysport®. These products contain the same active ingredient but are manufactured in slightly different ways than BOTOX, making them a great solution to BOTOX resistance.
Schedule a Consultation
When you are ready to look refreshed and relaxed, consider BOTOX, Dysport, or Xeomin. With our expert dermatologist, you can count on Dr. Bucay and Dr. Bhandari for the safest treatment and best outcomes.
Please schedule a custom consultation with our Expert Injectors, Dr. Vivian Bucay and Dr. Rachna Bhandari to discuss the common myths about Botox Cosmetic. Credential your injector. Credential your BOTOX. Call us today at 210.692.3000 in La Casita or 210.370.9995 in Sonterra for a consultation. Dr. Vivian Bucay proudly serves San Antonio and the surrounding areas!