Dr. Vivian Bucay is continually looking out for the latest technological innovations to offer her patients the finest non-surgical skin improvement. Her latest addition is the Lumenis M22 Q-Switched Laser platform. This innovative system allows us to utilize four technologies in one modular system. Our team here at The Bucay Center for Dermatology and Aesthetics could not be more excited to be offering the Q-Switch facial rejuvenation in San Antonio, TX because we can now treat over 30 skin conditions, along with laser hair removal, with a single platform
What is the M22 Q-Switched Laser Platform?
The Q-Switched M22 platform involves four different technologies, each delivering different benefits:
- Universal IPL — With Universal IPL we can treat many skin conditions with a single handpiece. It has 9 ExpertFilters tailored to the condition being treated, with computer-enabled filter recognition for safety and ease of use.
- Multi-Spot Nd:YAG Laser — Using multiple-sequential pulsing, this portion of the platform is great for removing telangiectasias, hemangiomas, leg veins, and facial wrinkles. It delivers cooling between sequences of pulses to protect the epidermis while delivering the laser energy onto the targeted issues under the surface skin.
- ResurFX — ResurFX™ is the best fractional resurfacing available today. Whereas other fractional lasers required multiple passes, which creates more recovery time, with ResurFX™ we need just a single pass. We vary the fractional spot with over 600 combinations. Plus, the system has the CoolScan™ system to keep patients comfortable.
- Q-Switched Nd: YAG — This technology uses seven different spot sizes depending on the target. It features four disposable tips that deliver the laser energy in a “Top-Hat” beam profile, rather than the typical cone shape of other lasers. This top-hat profile minimizes epidermis damage, changes in texture, and possible scarring that can be found with other platforms.
What Can You Treat with Q-Switch Facial Rejuvenation?
The diversity provided by our new Lumenis Q-Switched system enables us to treat over 30 skin conditions. Here’s a sampling:
- Age spots
- Broken facial capillaries
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Leg veins
- Stretch marks
- Unwanted hair
Am I a candidate for Q-Switch Facial Rejuvenation?
Because we combine Lumenis Universal IPL and ResurFX™ treatments into a Photofractional™ treatment, pretty much everyone is a great candidate for these treatments. The IPL energy targets all of your areas of skin discoloration such as age spots and freckles, along with removing broken capillaries and rosacea. The fractional resurfacing improves skin texture and quality. It initiates new collagen production and breaks down areas of course skin. It also improves fine lines and acne scarring.
How is Q-Switch Facial Rejuvenation Performed?
We’re especially excited to offer a combination facial rejuvenation treatment, combining the Lumenis Universal IPL and ResurFX technologies. Lumenis calls it a Photofractional™. It’s a combination of an IPL photofacial and fractional resurfacing. This provides more complete photo-rejuvenation of the skin. The IPL treats brown and red discoloration of the skin, such as age spots, freckles, sun spots, telangiectasias, and rosacea. ResurFX improves coarse skin texture, fine lines and wrinkles, and acne scarring.
The combined procedure takes less than half an hour, using the two different parts of the Lumenis platform. Each delivers cooling to keep you comfortable, but we also apply topical numbing cream prior to your treatment. Most patients say they don’t feel much of anything, sometimes an occasional prickling sensation, but that’s it.
Are Lumenis M22 Q-Switched Treatments Painful?
Because a Photofractional™ treatment involves the ResurFX™ CoolScan™ system of computer-controlled forced air-cooling, patients say these are generally comfortable treatments. We apply topical numbing cream prior to your session to further ensure your comfort.
How Long do Q-Switch Facial Rejuvenation Treatments Take?
These Photofractional™ treatments take just 25 minutes. You need to allow an extra half hour or so for the numbing cream to take effect prior to your session.
How Many Q-Switch Facial Rejuvenation Treatments will I Need?
Dr. Bucay’s patients find that their results build. Typically we recommend 4-6 sessions, one per month.
Is There Recovery After Q-Switch Facial Rejuvenation?
The ResurFX™ is the more aggressive portion of these treatments, as it creates hundreds of microscopic channels into the epidermis for the fractional treatment. There isn’t any recovery that would require changing your activities, but your skin will be somewhat red and possibly slightly swollen for a day or two. The redness can linger for up to 3-5 days. As long as you use a good moisturizer and sunscreen, that’s about all you’ll need to plan for.
What Kind of Results Can I Expect from Lumenis M22 Q-Switched treatments?
The removal of age spots, broken capillaries, and other pigmentation issues are permanent changes. That doesn’t mean future age spots and other issues won’t develop. They occur due to prior sun damage. The improvements made through fractional resurfacing are also permanent, but your skin will continue to age. That’s why maintenance treatments are a good idea moving forward.
Are There Risks Associated with Q-Switch Facial Rejuvenation?
This is a safe, non-invasive procedure. The fractional channels created heal in just a couple hours. Patients usually have some mild redness and slight swelling following their treatment. The skin across the treatment area can be rough for a few days following your treatment. These are safe procedures, especially when performed by our experienced and highly trained team at The Bucay Center for Dermatology and Aesthetics.
Schedule Your Q-Switch Facial Rejuvenation Consultation
If you would be interested in learning more about how Lumenis M22 Q-Switched treatments can repair and revitalize your skin, contact The Bucay Center for Dermatology and Aesthetics. Call 210-692-3000 for our La Casita office, or 210-370-9995 for our Sonterra office.