We hear a lot about aging but photoaging is not a term that is quite familiar. Simply put, photoaging is the kind of aging that is related to prolonged exposure to UV light. Sunshine is made up of ultraviolet rays that warm and tan the skin. These rays of light also permeate the epidermis and affect change on the cellular level. Over time, the skin looks older than it would otherwise.
Signs of photoaging include:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Spots and uneven skin tone
- Spider veins
- Actinic keratosis, precancerous spots that look red and scaly or dry
Because photoaging occurs on sun-exposed skin. We often see it on the face, the ears, shoulders, chest, hands, and arms. Spots and other signs of photodamage can also develop on the feet and legs.
What to Do About Photoaging
The best way to address photoaging is to prevent it. The effects of the sun can be minimized by wearing broad-spectrum sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, and long-sleeved shirts when outdoors. The better protected you are when you are outside, the less photodamage you are subjected to.
What if your skin is already showing signs of damage? There are ways to correct these issues, too. Treatments for photoaging range from daily habits to professional procedures.
- Use alpha-hydroxy acid serums. Alpha-hydroxy acids are exfoliating. They help cellular turnover.
- Use antioxidant skincare products. Antioxidants like vitamins A, C, E, and beta-carotene are often present in quality skincare products. These can help treat pigment problems, roughness, and other signs of premature aging.
- Chemical peels also speed up cellular turnover. A clinical-grade chemical peel can achieve optimal results with minimal or zero downtime.
- Microneedling is a form of collagen induction therapy. Sun exposure causes collagen to degrade at an accelerated rate. Microneedling creates tiny punctures in the upper layers of the skin to stimulate increased collagen production to remodel the skin’s foundation.
- Laser skin rejuvenation. Laser devices like the Fraxel Dual platform rejuvenate the skin by removing a thin layer of tissue and stimulated collagen proliferation. Fraxel Dual is a fractional laser resurfacing treatment that is safe and effective with minimal side effects.
Photoaging can detract from an otherwise vibrant appearance. Contact our Sonterra or La Casita office to schedule your consultation for skin rejuvenation.