Smoking poses several threats to health and wellness. Even the skin suffers when a person smokes for any length of time. If you have kicked a smoking habit, we first want to congratulate you! It is no secret that quitting smoking is hard. You’ve done it. Your body will thank you. Your skin will thank you. Here, we suggest a few ways that you can treat yourself as your body recovers from the effects of nicotine and the various other chemicals in cigarettes.
- Indulge in healthy, delicious food. Eating healthy doesn’t have to feel like you’re depriving yourself. If you’ve quit smoking, you may already struggle with feeling as though you’ve given up something you really enjoyed. Let food nourish your body and your senses. Fresh fruits contain loads of vitamin C, and vitamin A, another vital antioxidant, can be obtained by eating carrots, berries, and green leafy vegetables. Fresh, whole foods can be cooked in several ways that make your meals feel absolutely decadent.
- Supplement for your skin. In addition to vitamin A and C, the body relies on adequate intake of vitamin D and A to repair and rejuvenate. These four vitamins have a synergistic effect on one another and have powerful benefits for the skin.
- Stay hydrated. Dehydration does a number on the skin and the rest of the body. Smoking leaches the body of hydration, and it can take time for the dullness and dryness to improve. Drinking at least 64 ounces of water a day is a must. Make it tasty! Add slices of lemon, lime, orange, or grapefruit into your glass, or toss in a few berries or cucumber. Staying hydrated can be easy when you love what you’re drinking.
- Use sunscreen. Smoking has done enough damage; let’s not expose the skin to unnecessary enemies like UV light. Broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher needs to be worn every day.
- Get help. Professional skin care treatments like IPL photofacials, chemical peels, microneedling, and lasers can give your skin both the jump start and the ongoing pampering it needs and deserves.
When you visit our office, you benefit from a thorough evaluation and consultation and a personalized treatment plan to bring out the best in your skin. Contact our Sonterra location at (210) 370-9995 or our La Casita office at (210) 692-3000 today to schedule your visit.